Italian has to be one of my most favorite cuisines. The garlic, the pasta, the cheeses...it doesn't get much better than that. My husband loves to come home to smell garlic sauteing on the stove, he knows a yummy Italian dinner is on the way! Chicken Parmesan is such a staple meal to cook, and I feel like it's always a crowd pleaser. I've been cooking it for years, and it's actually the first meal my husband and I cooked together six years ago. This time, I butterflied the chicken, I prefer it this way now. I served it with mini garlic toast and pasta in a lemon butter sauce.
Chicken- Ingredients (for 2 servings)
-2 chicken breasts, butterflied
-1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs
-1/2 cup of flour (for dredging)
-1 egg, beat with a teaspoon of milk
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese
-6 slices of parmesan cheese (optional)
-1/2 jar Bertolli Five Cheese sauce
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-salt and pepper to taste
Mini Garlic Toast-Ingredients
-1/2 loaf of French bread, sliced
-1/2 garlic clove, minced
-1/4 tsp garlic salt
-2 tablespoons of butter, softened
1.Pre-heat oven to broil on high
2. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and add the 2 cloves of minced garlic
3. Dredge the buttferflied chicken in the flour, egg, then bread crumbs and place in pan
4. Cook chicken in pan of oil and garlic until fully cooked, about 5-6 minutes each side
5. In a sauce pot, heat the spaghetti sauce and add the 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
6. Place cooked chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet and top with the slices of parmesan cheese, place under broiler about 2 minutes to melt cheese. Remove and top with spaghetti sauce and the mozzarella cheese. Broil 5-6 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Mini Garlic Toast Directions
1. In a small bowl, mix the softened butter with the 1/2 minced garlic clove and 1/4 tsp garlic salt. Spread mixture on sliced pieces of French bread.
2. Place toasts on a foil-lined baking sheet and place under broiler for 3-4 minutes until butter has melted and the bread is lightly browned. Serve immediately.