A chill in the air calls for some serious comfort food. Something that makes you feel warm and cozy even though outside the temperatures act like they got lost on their way to the North Pole. This Creamy Marsala Pasta has so much savory flavor and is topped with crispy mushrooms that really sets this apart from what you expect from a traditional chicken Marsala. This is also a perfect vegetarian dish since it's totally optional to make this with chicken, just sub the chicken broth with a vegetable broth. Honestly, I prefer this without any meat. I swear I can sometimes be an accidental vegetarian. Most of the time I'm completely fine to not have any meat in my meals. Other than the occasional craving for a burger or some spicy chorizo at breakfast, I'd be content and very full on meatless meals. So you can see why this is right up my alley, and right up yours if you are into pasta dishes that don't lack anything in the flavor department.
Don't believe me? Just look at this right here. The Marsala flavor is practically jumping off the fork. And those specs of Parmesan cheese? Yes please!
Ok so I'm totally busted, I did make this with chicken. But wait! I really only made the chicken for my husband. Since the creamy Marsala sauce doesn't need anything from the chicken when you omit it it doesn't change anything in the pasta sauce.
Just look at these crispy mushroom pieces.
I hope you enjoy this! This has made it's way into my dinner rotation, I love how the sauce tasted even better the next day after the flavors had even more time to marinate.
Creamy Marsala Pasta with Crispy Mushrooms is the ultimate comfort food. Warm, creamy, and bursting with flavor. Make sure you save the leftovers, this tastes amazing the next day! I also prefer to zest my garlic instead of chopping or mincing. I find you'll get a more even garlic flavor through the dish.
-3/4 box thin spaghetti
-5 cremini mushrooms
-1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-1 tablespoon butter
-1 clove garlic
-2 tablespoons flour
-3/4 cup Marsala wine
-1/2 cup light cream
-1/4 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian)
-2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
-salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small pan, heat a few drizzles of the EVOO over medium heat. Slice the cremini mushrooms thin. Saute them for 9-10 minutes until crispy. The mushrooms will shrink up as the cook. I alternated between medium and medium high heat. Spoon onto a paper towel on a plate and set aside.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Toss in your pasta and cook until desired texture. (I do 12 minutes.) Also, I fully admit I am terrible at measuring the right amount of pasta. I did 3/4 of a box.
3. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter. Using a zester, zest the garlic clove into the butter. Cook until the garlic gets lightly browned. Once the garlic has browned, add the flour and whisk to make a paste. Pour in the light cream, chicken broth, and Marsala wine and simmer until thickened. Add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. I like my cream sauces peppery. Give the sauce a taste ad adjust as needed.
4. Let the sauce simmer as the pasta finishes cooking. Occasionally as the sauce thickens, add some of the boiling pasta water with a ladle to thin it out. Do not add more cream to thin out a sauce, use the pasta water.
5. To serve, lay a bed of pasta on your your plate. Spoon a generous amount of creamy Marsala sauce over top, then top with crispy mushrooms.